Windows To Our Past
Windows to Our Past is a documentary film series produced by Mike Mort of Equity Studios. Each of the 16 films in the series takes a deep dive into a part of Sturgis’s history. Films premiere each spring and fall at the Sturges-Young Center for the Arts. Keep following our social media to learn about the next film!
We are very grateful for the generosity of several sponsors and in-kind supporters for the Windows to Our Past project:
- City of Sturgis
- The Newell A. and Grace A. Franks Fund (a fund within the Sturgis Area Community Foundation)
- Sturgis Area Community Foundation
- Sturges-Young Center for the Arts
- Sturgis Area Chamber of Commerce
- Willer’s Shoe Store
- York Mercantile
Windows to Our Past Films:
- At the Depot – A community works together to do something wonderful for their town: move the century-old train depot from its original location to a more central, downtown spot. Premiere: fall 2014
- At the Depot II – A four-year journey to bring the town’s history to life; the making of Sturgis Historical Museum – At the Depot. Premiere: spring 2018
- Dog Town – Life in a unique, working-class neighborhood called Dog Town. Premiere: spring 2019
- Voices of Dark Lake – The African American history of Sturgis, Michigan. Premiere: fall 2019
- Journey of the 11th – The story of Sturgis and the Civil War. Premiere: summer 2020
- City Works – How our city gets things done, both then and now. Premiere: fall 2020
- Crescendo! – 100 years of music in Sturgis, Michigan. Premiere: spring 2021
- In Our Native Land – Native American history of the Sturgis area. Premiere: fall 2021
- Downtown – Welcome to the heart of our city, then and now.
- Vencinos y Amigos – The story of our Latino friends and neighbors.
- The Electric City – The story Sturgis, famously known as “The Electric City”.
- Icons of Industry – Six men with bold ideas for advancing Sturgis’s small-town economy.
- Small Town Faith – The diversity of faith in Sturgis, Michigan.
- Batter Up – 100 years of sports in Sturgis, Michigan.
- Philanthropy – The history of giving in Sturgis, Michigan.
- Up, Up and Away – The history of transportation in Sturgis, Michigan.
- A Clean Slate – A 200-year story of education in Sturgis, Michigan.
Miss the premiere of one of the films? You can buy DVD copies right here at the Museum’s Gift Shop! We also offer private screenings in the Museum’s Electric City Theatre for $10/person. Call us to set up your private showing today: (269) 503-7440